Seeking Art Instructors!
The Current seeks experienced, enthusiastic art instructors to lead after school classes. This is a contract, part-time (2 hours per week) role for classes that typically run for 6 weeks.
The Art Center is a fast paced, mission driven organization in Stowe, VT offering dynamic programming through exhibitions, education, and public programs.
Working closely with the Education Manager, Art Instructors work to create engaging, arts-focused lessons for youth ages K-Teen. Classes are often grouped K-3rd, 3rd-6th, and Teens. The Art Center's after school classes run from 3-5pm at The Current building in Stowe. They teach students to use the creative process and problem solving skills, develop innovative approaches, express feelings and thoughts through the creative process, and connect art to other subjects, peoples, and the world.
Successful candidates for this role will bring:
2+ years work experience as a teaching artist or art teacher, including formulating lesson plans
Knowledge and skill in at least one medium such as drawing, painting, ceramics (hand building), sculpture, mixed media, etc.
The ability to integrate knowledge of art history and art genres into lesson plans
Ability to communicate concrete and abstract ideas to children
Excitement for working with children and young adults; ability to cultivate creativity and enthusiasm for art in others
Professional demeanor with students, parents, and Art Center staff
Bachelor's degree in education, art history, studio art, or related field preferred
Compensation is competitive and is based on skills and experience.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and sample lesson plans to Stephanie Drews-Sheldon at email@example.com. Please include the words "Art Instructor" in the subject line.
Or mail to Helen Day Art Center
PO Box 411, Stowe, VT 05672
The Current is a non-profit, member supported, community arts and education organization in Stowe, VT. The Current is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds to apply. HDAC staff members are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
The Current has many opportunities for internships. Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Current is a non-profit, member supported, community arts and education organization in Stowe, VT. HDAC is an equal opportunity employer.
Do you and your friends love to volunteer at local non-profits as a way of giving back to your community while meeting new people and socializing? This is the perfect ongoing volunteer opportunity for you and your friends! The Current sends out regular program mailers, invitations, and notifications of events to our community and we need extra hands to help us stuff and seal envelopes to spread the news about the incredible upcoming programs! A great way to socialize while giving back.
* Scheduling based on mailer, invitation, and postcard deadlines.
* The volunteer will coordinate with the Office Administrator.
* Dexterity needed for repetitive movement.
Do you like to work with your hands? Come help us return our gallery walls back to exhibition perfection as we deinstall one show to get ready for the upcoming one. Light spackling, sanding, and painting involved. Don't know how? Let us teach you! The responsibilities of the position include art handling, gallery room preparation, and other exhibition related activities.
* The volunteer will coordinate with the Gallery Manager.
* Art handling.
* Packaging documentation.
* Wall preparation.
* Hanging of the exhibitions, depending on experience or desire.
Art Class Support
Do you love helping young artists create art? Then we need your art and student expertise! We are always looking for extra help from enthusiastic volunteers to help with our youth and teen programs. Come help with after school classes, summer camps, family events, or be a birthday party host! Teen volunteers
welcome for Youth program support.
The duties of the Art Class Support Volunteer at The Current are to help teachers in art classes, oversee class flow and facilitate class events. Class support can be provided for both Youth and Adult art classes.
* The Art Class Support Volunteer position will require a commitment of the duration of the class session. Scheduling will be mostly during office hours and may require some Saturday availability.
* The volunteer will coordinate with the Education Coordinator and Office Administrator.
* Help facilitate classes by assisting teacher with class preparation.
* Supervising the correct use of materials by students.
* Making sure classroom is properly set-up and clean.
* Documenting classes as well as managing feedback from students.
Do you enjoy going to The Current events? Are you looking for more ways to be involved in your community? Volunteer at our many fun and diverse engagements! Assist at these recurring programs: Steamroller, Annual Gala Benefit, Student Art Show, Exposed. Walkabout, Birthday Parties, and Family Day.
The duties of the Events Volunteer are to support the variety of community programs hosted by The Current.
* Scheduling will be during office hours mainly but may require some evening and weekend flexibility depending on the project.
* The volunteer will coordinate with the Office Adminstrator and the correspondent Event Committee.
* Help with set-up, clean-up, and during event.
* Distribute internal and external communications related to the event.
* Provide a feedback document at the end of the event.
Want to learn more about our exhibitions and contemporary art? Love sharing your knowledge to art goers? Come volunteer as a docent for our exhibitions! Meet locals, out-of-town guests, international tourists, and students! The duties of the Gallery Docent Volunteer at The Current are to provide gallery tours to visitors and school groups. Volunteer anytime during gallery hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am - 5 pm.
* Scheduling will be mostly during afternoons but may require morning tours while schools are in session.
* The volunteer will coordinate with the Gallery Manager.
* Offering educational tours to school groups.
* Offering brief informative tours to daily visitors.
* Document and research related to current exhibit.
* Document gallery visitors.
Do you like to spend time outside walking around different Vermont towns? This is the volunteer opportunity for you! Help us spread information about upcoming events, classes, and exhibitions at HDAC by putting up our posters around Stowe and surrounding areas! It's fun! As you stroll around town, pop into different shops and venues to hang up The Current posters.
* Must have access to car, valid driver's licence, and walking mobility to drive and walk around Stowe, Waterbury, Montpelier, Morrisville, Colchester, Winooski, Waitsfield, Jeffersonville, Johnson, and Burlington. Note: poster run might only contain three of four of the towns listed.
* The volunteer will coordinate with Office Administrator.
* Creative ability to rearrange poster boards to fit HDAC poster.
* Enjoys working independently.
Volunteer opportunities are available year-round.
For more information contact:
90 Pond St. P.O. Box 411
Stowe, VT 05672
NOTE: all volunteer positions are unpaid